Earthquake Relief in Haiti
On Saturday, August 14th, we woke up to the news that a 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti. The South Department of Haiti is most impacted with significant structural damage in the cities of Cayes and Jeremie. Our team and family are all healthy and we thank you for the outpour of concern.
Over 1,300+ lives are lost and thousands of people are left homeless. Many have asked what they should do to help. Here are our recommendations after years of working in Haiti and leading/joining relief efforts:
For Immediate relief efforts Kreyol Essence is supporting and placing a donation directly to the closest and most reputable Hospital in the area: Hôpital St Boniface.
Let’s remember the lessons of the past and and not ship things that will cause delays at ports and hurt the local economy in Haiti. It is best to purchase items in Haiti and give cash to verified orgs. Other reputable organizations include:
- Hope for Haiti is a long term partner with deep ties to the region.
- FOKAL is providing donations to local grassroots partners.
- Ayiti Community Trust Foundation is structured to connect to orgs on the ground.
- Fonkoze is a long time trusted partner working around the entire country.
- Partners In Health has been in Haiti for years and focuses on urgent health needs around the country.
- If you are in Haiti, BLOOD Donation is also important so please visit the Haitian Red Cross to give blood.